The Household Menace

Mold Is Our Kitchen and Bathroom Menaces

Protecting our families from disease and sickness is very important to all of us. Along with that, as a homeowner, protecting our home and properties from damage is also a priority. You always have to keep in mind that you need to carefully maintain your house to prevent its structures from weakening or breaking, especially in times of local disasters or infestations. One of the more common infestations, can be a serious problem if left unattended.  Mold can lead to health problems and even structural damage to our house.  Mold cover an area of 6 to 10 feet will require a professional mold clean up.

What Are Molds?

What exactly are these molds, and how harmful can they be? Here is a short lesson on mold biology. Don’t worry, it is not that technical, but will help you understand what you are dealing with. so you can better find a remedy to solve the problem. Molds belong to the kingdom classification of fungi. Fungi are microscopic organisms that reproduce asexually they have no means to produce their own food. They often grow on decaying organic matter. Fungi thrive in areas where temperature is warm, and where there is ample moisture and a suitable pH level or acidity level. Fungal forms, like molds, often grow on surfaces on your kitchen and bathroom.

Fast Growth

Molds, even though they are microscopic creatures, can be a force to reckon with. Since a small patch of wall covered in molds can mean millions and millions of fungal cells could be growing inside the wall.  Their populations have the ability to grow exponentially within a few days to a week. Colonies of molds spread quite rapidly, and if left to grow uncontrollable can weaken the structures in your home, causing safety hazards.  If that’s not bad enough, the asexual reproductive forms of molds, called spores, can make many people very sick? A single mold can release millions of tiny spores into the air, which can easily enter the human body by inhalation. Hypersensitive persons, or those with severe forms of allergy, can fall into anaphylactic shock after inhaling these mold spores.

Don’t Allow Mold A Foothold

To prevent the health risks caused by molds, always maintain the cleanliness of your home. If there are areas where molds have been detected, clean them right away. For more serious cases, you can call a reliable mold clean up service to better deal with the problem. To control the moisture or humidity levels in your house, use a dehumidifier, which can be purchased online or from your hardware store. In your bathrooms or kitchens, if they are not well-ventilated, install exhaust fans to keep the air clean. Replace worn-out or moldy carpeting, damaged tiles, and mold-infested wood structures in your home immediately. Regularly check your gutters and potted house plants, to avoid any stagnant water deposits.